Friday, April 18, 2014

Why I keep running...

Before we adopted my little sister, I never prayed for a perfectly obedient little girl who would listen to everything you said, I prayed for simply a little sister. That's it. One I could help teach right from wrong. One that would say my name and call me to play. One I could love and hug. 

I got what I wanted, and got just what I needed. She literally appeared on our doorstep, and I will never be able to thank God enough for that. I love her more than my mind can comprehend. Even though she irritates me sometimes, I love her. She's my little sister, but more so, she's my friend. My best friend. 

When she came, we didn't know if she would talk. There was no greater fear I had, that my little sister would never say my name. I prayed whenever I got the chance just for the slightest word. All she knew was sounds, and she expected us to understand, when we didn't frustration overtook her. She would scream and cry.

We slowly starting teaching her words and she slowly learned. At least it felt like it was slow. You don't know the joy that came into my heart when she first said "sissy." Now she says "I love you, sissy." And those are the sweetest words I have ever heard.

Some words are hard to understand, but she knows what she's talking about and she will show us. Even though she gets so angry when we don't understand her, she loves us, and you can tell. The way she smiles when you do something silly, the way she asks why your "eyes sad" when your crying, the way she kisses YOUR boo boos, the way she dances with you, and plays with you, and hugs you, and kisses you.

Sometimes I need to remind myself that even when she screams out my name in anger when I don't understand, I still need to smile that she can actually say my name. And that is why I keep running. Even when I feel like I'm about to fall apart.


--------------------------


Praise the lord ! Praise the lord from the heavens! Praise him from the skies! Praise him, all his angels! Praise him, all the armies of heaven! Praise him, sun and moon! Praise him, all you twinkling stars! Praise him, skies above! Praise him, vapors high above the clouds! (Psalms 148:1-4 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment